Marketed as being “where the softness of a distance shoe meets the springy speed of a racing flat” the Machina 2 arrived with high expectations. I’ve been wearing a few different kicks over recent months and these were something quite different to what I had in rotation.
Originally introduced in January 2020 (Read our review here) the UA HOVR Machina proved to be a fantastic shoe for those looking for something that you can wear on general runs, but also for tempo and speed work. It’s also ideal for the gadget lovers amongst you, thanks to its connectivity to a training app. This new version features a high-ventilation mesh fabric for improved breathability and reduced weight, as well as a new tongue construction that is thinner and retains less moisture. These advances add to what was already a great all-round performer.
As a neutral shoe with an 8mm drop, it’s safe for most and gentle on the Achilles. The foam is cushy and responsive, with a plate through the insole that also aids in return, so you get plenty back off the road with every foot-strike. I found them to be ideally suited to my shorter runs and long tempo efforts. They feel fast and responsive, but aren’t so aggressive that you end up sore from pounding or overloading the Achilles. They offer great traction in any terrain and the upper is snug and breathable. The build quality is fantastic, so they’ll endure plenty of miles both on and off the road.
The Machina 2 is aesthetically appealing, with subtle styling that gives them some individuality. They cross over really well from smooth trails and grass tracks, to the road. The only place they weren’t at home was rocky, technical terrain, but that’s not what they were designed for. I also wore them as a gym shoe, as I generally include weights sessions into a couple of my short runs each week.
The key point of difference this range offers that other shoes don’t, is that when you connect them to UA MapMyRun™ it also coaches you in real-time. This is a fantastic motivational tool, as well as providing loads of data you can play with afterwards to analyse your performance. In an age where people love gadgets and access to their training data on the go, this is a handy addition.
- CONNECTS TO UA MAPMYRUN™: tracks & analyses your running metrics to help make you a better runner
- UA HOVR™ technology provides ‘zero gravity feel’ to maintain energy return that helps eliminate impact
- Compression mesh Energy Web contains & moulds UA HOVR™ foam to give back the energy you put in
- Ultralight 3D spacer mesh upper for increased breathability & ultimate speed
- As your body emits energy, the mineral-infused UA RUSH™ lining absorbs & reflects it back, improving endurance
- External heel counter for added stability & a locked-in feel
- Sprint spike-inspired Pebax® speed plate for increased return & more powerful push-offs
- Carbon rubber pods under the heel deliver greater traction & durability at high-impact strike zones
- Reflective details
- Offset: 8mm |Weight: 10.24 oz.
- NEUTRAL: For runners who need a balance of flexibility & cushioning
- RRP: $220.00